Pages

Friday, July 2, 2010

Ramblings...

"I hate track work outs"

You don't mind if I say this at random, non-regular intervals, do you? Why? Because....

"I hate track work outs"

This post doesn't have much to do with track work outs. Well it does, a little, but not really. It's just that I am writing this after chasing some punk ass kid (He isn't. Ken's a very cool guy. It was fun running with him and hearing his training schedule for the Summerfast 10k. But he's faster than me. And he is younger than me. And I'm cranky. And this is my blog so I get to make stuff up :) ) around the track 5 x 1 mile intervals at his 10k goal pace. It wasn't until after the work out that I realize his 10k goal pace is faster than my 5k pace. That's probably why at the end of the 4th set the only thing going through my head was...

"I hate track work outs"

Why wasn't I thinking this after the 5th and last set, you may ask? Because during the last lap of the 5th set, my mind has gone beyond hate and settled on just looking forward to the prospect of stopping, flopping on the infield, and not getting up. Ever.

Some context should be provided though. After Wednesdays usual run at the Broadway running room, Amelia came up with the idea of a track workout the next day, aka Canada Day. Having my long weekend plans fall through means that I had the day free except for some ulti action in the evening. This, and the impromptu prompting, seemed like a perfect opportunity to, as a friend put it, get "back on track". I haven't done any track work since the marathon. The first couple of weeks was understandable, calves were still sore. But the last couple of weeks, despite repeatedly telling myself to get back to the track, I just basically wimped out. Longer, slow or tempo runs has the luxuries of soft trails, rolling hill, stopping/beating traffic lights depending on the day and the scenario. But track work out is just a flat #@$#$$ oval. Oh, and you have to go faster than your legs actually wants to go. More reasons why this damn thought keeps running in my head..."

"I hate track work outs"

So yesterday Amelia, Carolyn, Jason, and the aforementioned Ken set off for a 3km jog to and from the track. Nice jog, decent weather (in Vancouver that means there was just a bit of rain), and some pleasant conversation describes the jogs. The only things that made the whole experience bearable.

There was talk about another track session on Tuesday, if everyone's schedule jive. Hopefully there is and I can make it. Contradictory? Absolutely. But that's really the only realistic way I will get back to a regular weekly speed session and hopefully get my head to stop saying...

"I hate track work outs"

Just like running Kits point whenever I get the chance to make myself not hate Kits point. That seems to be working so, hopefully it will be the same with the track. Just need to get it kick started.

Now back to the original intent of the post, post marathon training philosphy... wait what time is it? Time for a run, or a nap, haven't quite decided yet. Next time ...

3 comments:

Amelia :) said...

amen brother- i hate track workouts.
see you tuesday? ;)

Evy said...

i have met this ken guy.... he is some fast punk!! he did the trail running with me and the girls! you up for that next time??

alany said...

@evy Great to see you on Sunday! Didn't get a chance to chat with you post run... either you ladies left uber quick or my going around the crescent over and over took longer than expected. Yup on trail running, you have a race in mind? Now go sign up for SummerFast :)

@theroadtoboston you'd complain too if you are chasing someone younger and faster around the track...wait, you do track intervals with Amelia...ummm...ok, I'll stop whining. I promise.